Tuesday, December 1, 2009

ZigZag Socks


Pattern: ZigZag Socks by Christine Walter
from Vogue Knitting "The Ultimate Sock Book"

Yarn: Dream In Color Smooshy
100% superfine Australian merino superwash hand-dyed
color - Spring Tickle VS140


Needles: Size 2 Inox dpns (love 'em)

These are a gift - for no particular reason - to the person for whom I finished the pesky Lion Brand pair last month.

I've been wanting to try Smooshy sock yarn and it did not disappoint! It is yummy to knit with. I e-mailed Paige with a link to the Smooshy colors and let her choose. As much as I love greens, this Spring Tickle color would not have been my first choice. But I think it worked great with this pattern and the longer I knit with it, the more it grew on me.

This is a very straight-forward 64-stitch pattern and was quite enjoyable to knit. The only thing new to me was that the heel-turn section is also done in as a continuation of the slip-stitch pattern from the flap. I liked it and think it will be a bit of a heel cushion.

I did not work the round toe of the pattern and substituted my favorite toe shaping - which is from Evelyn A. Clark's Retro Rib Sock pattern.

This is basically a fancy rib and the sock is quite nice and stretchy. I think I could have gone down to the size 1 needles called for by the pattern, but I wanted to make sure they would fit and I tend to knit a bit tightly anyway. Didn't want to smoosh the Smooshy!

There is a nice bit of leftover yarn. I may try to get some wristwarmers or fingerless gloves to match. Can't wait to give them to Paige. I hope she enjoys wearing them as much as I enjoyed knitting them.

5 comments:

Jolene said...

the socks turned out great! love the color and the pattern. I bet your friend will Love love love them

minipurl said...

Beautiful :)

minipurl said...

Beautiful :)

Mary said...

Nice pattern! And the color is nice and cheerful!

Sheri said...

Great socks and great color. I love Smooshy but I use if for shawls or scarves, not socks. :o) Finally got the pastword right. Jeesh, feels like I've been away forever!
Sheri