Saturday, December 12, 2009

Criss-Cross Coasters

I seldom get out the sewing machine anymore. Knitting is just so dang relaxing and portable.

Setting up the sewing machine, pulling out and cutting fabrics, and, inevitably, ironing.......well, not always relaxing and certainly not portable.

But a few days ago I arrived home to find a gift from Kay hanging on my doorknob. That always brightens my day.

Kay is very busy this holiday season being a kind and thoughtful daughter-in-law/nurse. It is seldom an easy job, but I know that Kay is GOOD at it. Laughter is the best medicine and I've never been around Kay when I didn't laugh.

You may know that Kay has quite a few vintage sewing machines at her house and while technically portable, I'm not sure they are making the trek back and forth from her house to MIL's. She had plans to make lots of coasters. Luckily I got a set before she left town again. And of course I wanted to try out the pattern for myself. I thought they'd make good, quick gifts for my sisters-in-law.

The pattern was posted some time back on Allsorts blog. Jenny Harris is a very talented illustrator and I always enjoy her blog. She often posts fun holiday projects and tutorials.
While you're over there, be sure to check out this post about a very special project she did with her daughter.

(I'd post a picture of the fabulous coasters Kay made for me, but I don't want to spoil anyone's surprise. She may be visiting other doorknobs, too!)

3 comments:

minipurl said...

What wonderful coasters! Just might be enough to resurrect the old sewing machine. Wait, I see yarn. :)

Sheri said...

My sewing machine hasn't moved in about 4 or 5 years but those are so cute I could actually think about it a little harder. Great website too, thanks for sharing. Love those coasters.
Sheri

Mary said...

Very nice-looking coasters!