Sunday, February 24, 2008

Arctic Diamonds

Pattern: Arctic Diamonds Stole
by Donna Druchunas - Interweave Knits Winter 2006
Yarn: Alpaca With a Twist - Fino
70% baby alpaca/30% silk
875 yds/100 gr (3.5 oz)
color Evergreen
Needles: KnitPicks Options circular size 4
.
This was a truly enjoyable knit. I was ready to be done with it by the time I was finished, but the actual knitting was a pleasure. I knitted 7 lengthwise pattern repeats instead of 5 and only knit 4 repeats across the width instead of 5 and wound up with a 21" x 73" shawl. Oddly the width is the same as listed in the pattern. I wouldn't mind reknitting this one day in the Gems Pearl called for in the pattern (if I ever run across any!).
.
The only other change was that I used SSK decreases instead of the K2tog tbl - not because I felt it better (what do I know?), but because I found it easier and there were lots of them!
.
I did a little calculating (because I'm like that) and figured, counting the casting on, knitting, and frogging of the ill-fated VLT design, this yarn has been my companion since Jan. 1. That's relaxation and contentment for just 47 cents a day! You can't ask for better than that and I have a wonderful, warm shawl at end.

No comments: