Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sock Detour


I've been powering right along on the plain socks. I'm using an old ball of Lion Brand Magic Stripes and it's a tad bit thicker than the sock yarn I've used lately. I think I should have gone with size 3 needles.

I've finished the gusset decreases and I think the sock and I are going to take a detour. This detour may be slow and have a few bumps in the road, so there is no way to expect this pair to be finished for Summer of Socks. Que sera, sera.

A friend that I worked all 12 years of PTA with would like to knit socks. She mostly knits garter stitch scarves right now. I suggested some tag-team knitting. I'd get the sock started and let her take over.

Perhaps once she gets this one finished - and really it's just knit, knit, knit from here through the toe decreases - I'll help her get the next one going.

While we get that going, I've used the other DP WIP Tube to wind up a skein of lace yarn.

I didn't find any tempting sock yarn in the mountains, but I did make a very quick detour on the way home over to Silver Threads and Golden Needles where this skein of Cascade Alpaca Lace in a gorgeous Caribbean Heather called my name. Or called Evelyn A. Clark's name. Maybe both.

The clerk kindly offered to wind it into a ball for me, but I didn't want JP to have to wait any longer than necessary and I kind of like winding balls by hand.

I find the DP Wip Tube just perfect for this. I can put one free end of the yarn into the inner tube, close it inside with the outer tube and start winding. When I'm done, I just slide off the ball of yarn and I've got a center-pull ball.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oooooh! Pretty, pretty!

minipurl said...

That yarn is simply scrumptious!
I just found out about those DP WIP tubes and am glad to see someone using the thing. Thanks for the neat-o idea for center-pull ball winding. I've been lobbying LYS to get the Tubes in stock. Ooh la la :)