Friday, March 19, 2010

My blue heaven


Pattern: Sand Dollar Shawl
"Knitting Lace Triangles" by Evelyn A. Clark

Yarn: KnitPicks Bare 100% merino wool
440 yds/ 100 gr.
dyed with 3 packs of Berry Blast Kool-Aid


Needles: KnitPicks Options size 6; 32" cable

Since Evelyn lives in the Pacific Northwest and I live in the Southeast (and travel very little), I may never get to meet her in person. Perhaps it is just as well as I would no doubt gush and make a fool of myself telling her how much I enjoy her designs, possibly even scaring her in the bargain.
But oh my! How much fun! I love to knit her designs. They never fail to please and entertain.

This was a such a fun project from start to finish. I was frustrated with the red shawl when I remembered I had this hank of wool waiting to be dyed. Someday I'd like to get some chemical dyes and try it for real, but in the meantime the Kool-Aid worked and the bright color certainly helped brighten up the dull, drizzly days we've had this March.

I went with her instructions and added three beads to each point, mixing both shiny and matte. They are a subtle embellishment and I think add just the right touch. In fact, without enlarging this picture, you don't really even notice them.

Kinda sad to see the finish of this one. I'm not yet ready to grant amnesty to the red shawl so I'll return instead to the sampler for a change.

Good news.....the Easter M&Ms are out.

3 comments:

Mary said...

So cheery! (And lovely too, of course!)

Yesterukes said...

This shawl is just gorgeous. Wish I had one for spring! And I still think this is a better use for blue koolaid than drinking it.

Sheri said...

Beautiful color! Great job. I'm still in the talking stages of that one, but I have all the stuff. I thought the M&M's were the buttons! LOL They matched so well.
Sheri