Monday, October 5, 2009

Yummy Yarn

I didn't crop all the orange button mums out of this shot because I loved the orange color with the bright blue of this yarn. Besides I just had to have a bit of orange after seeing such orangey goodness over at Mary's.

Isn't this blue yarn lovely? I think I deserve some yummy yarn and a soothing sock experience for a change.

This is just the very start of Rib and Cable Socks, a pattern by Nancy Bush from the Fall 2005 issue of Interweave Knits magazine. The pattern calls for this yarn, Mountain Colors Bearfoot.

These are going to be VERY warm, but also incredibly soft. I'm only about 15 rounds into the cuff and already they feel fabulous.

If the rest of the experience goes as well, it will more than make up for all the frustrations of that last pair.

Nancy Bush writes classic patterns in the traditional folk method, top-down with a heel flap on double-pointed needles. I'm a confirmed dpn knitter. Every once in awhile I read about other methods and consider using circular needles or knitting a toe up pattern or a short-row heel. This pause for considering lasts about 2 minutes before I dismiss the idea completely. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Still I recently read where another confirmed dpn top-down knitter has recently converted.

Reading that post and then seeing Jolene's fabulous leaf socks has got me thinking some more.
[be sure to scroll down and see Jolene's perfect, contrast heels]

No comments: