Saturday, January 3, 2009

so easily distracted

It's been a nice lazy day around the cul-de-sac, but I know work and responsibilities will soon resume in earnest.

One nice thing about a free Saturday is the chance to go to the library and read magazines. What a luxury. Even a back issue was new to me and I found a fascinating article in the Sep/Oct 2008 issue of FiberArts on the art of Dorie Millerson.

I love how Ms. Millerson uses old family photographs as design inspiration and what feeling she brought to them with just string!
[Be sure to view her 2005 'attachments' series in the Portfolio.]

A little more about needlelace can be found here and see a lacemaker at work here stitching Burano lace.

The buttonhole or blanket stitch used in needlelace is used in many laces and embroideries and will be the edge around my current Hardanger piece, but mine won't have that soft, etheral feeling that Ms. Millerson captures. I'd love to see her pieces in person.

See some more beautiful lace pieces in photos that Mary took (in 2007, I think).

2 comments:

Mary said...

It's thanks to you, Sonja, that had signed up to view the lace exhibit. I never knew about all these uses for string till I met you!

Sheri said...

You are a wealth of string info! I'm determined not to get back into that kind of string again. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.........
Sheri