Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Everybody talks about the weather

Still HOT around here. Temperatures in the 90s continue, and we approach the first day of fall at least 10 degrees above average.

I, for one, am tired of overachieving.

Luckily the a/c holds out and I am inside with my really lovely yarn and Nancy Bush pattern.

On a recent Books on the Nightstand podcast, they had an episode titled "ice-cold pages" that mentioned books set in cold climates as recommendations of what to read during a heatwave. Well now that's a novel idea, so I decided to give it a try and I found The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin at my library.

This non-fiction account of a 1888 blizzard that hit the Dakota-Nebraska prairie may soon become too difficult to bear reading, but the first half is mostly getting to know the people that moved west to settle the area and the emerging science of weather prediction. Lots of Norwegian immigrants.

We may have oppressive heat and humidity but this book really puts my whines about the weather in perspective.

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it."
(generally attributed to) Mark Twain

3 comments:

Yesterukes said...

But then....I will miss my flip flops when it ever cools off.

Sheri said...

I must find a book on blizzards! I keep thinking of my trip to Boston when I got to finally see more than a foot of snow after moving to the South. I loved it. Will always remember it, forever and ever, and how it wasn't HOT, HUMID, and I didn't melt! Can't even keep the makeup on my face it's so hot!

minipurl said...

I read that book....so very sad.


I love the color of your yarn.....bye for now :)