Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Fruits of Rumination


So far, so good. The Green Bead Experi-
ment
is working out so far - in that it will block flat. Yeah!! I was a bit worried that it would want to cup.

I haven't technically blocked it yet but was so anxious to see if it would stay flat, I gave it quick iron with the steam iron. [Sadly : ( the iron and I spend a lot of time together.]

When I do block it, I'll need to come up with some way to stiffen it as I intend this to be a wreath.

I adapted a pattern from the May/June 2008 issue of "Piecework" magazine.

I'll just stop here and say again how MUCH I love "Piecework". Absolutely my most favorite periodical ever. Ever.

The pattern, by Deborah Robinson, was for "Nightfall", a lace fan. See this and more of Deborah's amazing work here.

I had been ruminating on some way to knit a circle with a hole in the middle to make a 2D wreath. I had only very vague thoughts until this issue arrived and I saw the fan. What if I changed to knit in the round and added more repeats? Luckily rumination did not result in ruination. So maybe I won't need Plan B after all.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I think it's very pretty! Wow, went to the website for the fans - amazing! Never knew you could do something like that with knitting needles. Wow! again.
Sheri in SE GA

kaylace said...

Hi...
I can't believe it is the same piece as earlier in your blog... this one looks bluish and the first one in process looks green. I really like the effect. Will you stiffen it so that there are waves like the old style doilies or will it be flat? Your skills are way beyond anything I can aspire to.... kay in Smyrna GA